Saturday, April 5, 2014

READ ALL ABOUT IT! Excerpts from Student Reflections on Week 1 (Written by the Grade 5 Exhibition Students!)

"Five guest speakers in a week! Wow! This was one busy yet fun week! The best part of this week was listening to Ms. Amy and Mr. Vibol from Wildlife Alliance. Ms. Amy talked to us about the amazing WRRT who catch down those nasty wildlife hunters, keepers, traders and sellers. Mr. Vibol talked about reforestation and the forest in Koh Kong. I love the idea of reforestation giving life back to the forest! Ms. Causland, she sparked me up. One of her talks inspired me - floods and droughts always seem to happen in Cambodia. Last year there was a big flood and nearly everyone got affected....."  
(from Carolyn)

"This week was the beginning of the Exhibition. My highlights of the week were listening to Ms. Janne talk about Tabitha, Ms. Kritin about I.O.M. I enjoyed listening to Ms. McCausland from Action Aid, and Mr. Haig from Little Big Films. One of the talks that touched me was Ms. Amy and Mr. Vibol talking to us on Wildlife Alliance. These guest speakers intrigued me and they were great sources of information when you are thinking about what to do...." 
(from Zeke)

"This week was a week to get used to the new classes without grade fours, however it was a pretty good week. My highlight  of the week was when Ms.Dadey revisited to talk about human labor and trafficking, because I learned about human trafficking and the cause of it.

The issues I have chosen for Exhibition are: climate change because of how the change of the climate has a huge impact on earth and people, endangered animals because of how people don't see animals are living beings just like us and last but not least human trafficking because of the impact of trafficking on people's families and impact on people in general." (from James)

"This has been the first week of the Exhibition I have got interested in so many things but I have got my eye on 3 things: Child Labor, Women's Rights and Health Care. I was interested in Child Labor for a long time but once Exhibition started I got more interested. Tabitha and Action Aid really pulled me into it. Did you know how many women have no rights? Imagine this, you are a women and people say you're a house wife. You don't have the right to school and work. All you do is chores. How would you feel? Health Care........ most of the time when women are in poverty they get sick sometimes they die at the age of 30-40. I really want to learn and take action to save them." (from Sopheak)

"Finally, I'm going to talk about why I choose my top three issues which are deforestation, endangered animals or animals extinction and land pollution. I chose deforestation because I really adore nature around me. Like plants. At home, sometimes I watered plants that I grow but when I heard about cutting down trees, I was so mad. So that is why I chose deforestation. I chose endangered animals because I really love animals and how they interact with other animals. I chose land pollution because I love the planet earth and the environment." (from Techavoan)

"Hi there! The first week of exhibition just finished. I had a lot of fun. This week we had many guest speakers. There were people from many NGO's. Like: Wildlife Alliance, IOM, Tabitha, Little Big films and Action Aid. For each of the guest speakers that visited us, we wrote a reflection. In the reflections, we had to write what we learned, what they showed us, what we thought about it, etc. We had to write reflections for Ms. Caroline, Ms. Janne, Ms. Amy and Mr. Neth, Ms. Kristin and Mr. Haig.

We stuck our week one checklist into our journals that we recently got. In the checklist we had to tick the things that we finished in the week. we had many pieces of work in groups.We chose the groups by doing the lucky dip. But sometimes, we just worked in our table groups. We worked on things like: a visualizing reflection, a discussion on the key concepts, a collage of issues and when Ms. Kim visited to do things with us.

We chose our issues too! I chose water pollution, animal extinction and deforestation. I chose them because they are a very dangerous and common threat to the environment. They are destroying the environment, causing the world to get unhealthier.

Overall, it's been a great week. I am feeling happy and joyful right now. I also enthusiastic because I want to go out there to take action." (from Aakanksh)

1 comment:

  1. I'm really looking forward to working with my group as a mentor. I could feel the excitement from the grade fives when they visited me this morning.

    ReplyDelete

Please make a comment on our blog or this page!